Walking out of OSU 3/31/11

Walking out of OSU 3/31/11

Sunday, March 27, 2011

3/27 Sunday

James is continuing to do well.  He has been working hard in rehabilitation.  In fact, he was working so hard on the physical therapy, the doctor has asked him to turn it down two notches.  Jimmy was trying to do more of everything they have asked him to do.

Jimmy's roomate and friend, J.R. continues to improve as well.  J.R. has now been able to walk 25 steps.  That is great news.

The staff says that James and J.R. have some of the best attitudes of anyone at Dodd Hall.  They help motivate each other and both continue to improve.

James get's released from OSU Medical Center this coming Thursday.  Although hospital policy is to deliver him to our car in a wheelchair, James is determined to walk out the front door of the hospital.  I will post that picture on the blog Thursday night.

When back in Marietta, James will be living at my house for a while.  In addition, we will be taking him (to a place to be determined) to physical therapy for some time.  It could take a year for James to get his muscle strength built back up and to gain more normal endurance.  He has a great attitude and is determined to fully recover.

The last two months have been dramatic.  Early on I was told that my brother would not live.  A couple of times during the journey the hospital sent the chaplan in, believing the end was near. James was hooked up to more life support equipment than I have ever seen.  He fought and beat a blood infection.  Now he is doing great in rehab, and planning his return to Marietta.  Amazing!

James wants me to thank all of your for your love, support and prayers for him throughout this journey.

Have a blessed evening.

9 comments:

  1. Jimmy is and always will be my Hero! I had a great weekend with him I even was able to be there early on Friday which was a treat,and stayed until Sunday. We laughed,reminisced,and visited other patients. Jim's roomate JR's wife Laura brought us chicken stir fry it was delicious! I love you Jim and can't wait to have you back in Marietta this week.
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly one of the greatest comeback stories I have ever heard of. Amazing inner strength you have Jim! Best wishes in your continued progress!

    Scott Hooper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am JR's son, Marlon. I had the pleasure of meeting Jim on Saturday during pizza time!!! What a great spirit! I am in awe from the love and friendship he as well as his family has shown to my pops! At times, when JR is down, Jim repeadtedly picks him up. I spin records at a local sports bar, and I played Jim's favorite song "Rock n Roll All Night" by Kiss on Sat as tribute! I wish you a very speedy recovery sir! Be blessed.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am JR's daughter Donika and I live in Atlanta. I have not been able to come there to visit Daddy but seeing this blog gives me a sense of relief to know that he has Jim there for motivation and support. Thank you so much and keep motivating each other! And tell Laura to save me some pizza next time! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim Awesome news to hear of your progress, Keep up the great work ethic, you will be having Great Chinese food before you know it! Keep the positive attitude, that along with God's healing presence will carry you back to Health and continued happiness before you know it!! Rock on your friend.

    Dave Wharton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marion & Donika's posts are so very touching. God has a plan and he put Jimmy & J.R. together for a reason. It sounds like they are each others medication.
    Jimmy, you are like a prized possession in your family. It will be so good to have you back in Marietta.
    Best of luck to J.R. You won't be forgotten.
    Love to all, John & Millie

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Dave Wharton: Jr's wife, Laura, made and took stir-fry to them this past weekend. David Tenney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see you Jimmy. I'm going to try and get mom and dad to Marietta sometime after Easter. We love you cuz!!.

    To JR's family-- Jimmy's Uncle Bill, Aunt Marie, Cousin Patricia and Cousin Alexander wish you all the best and will add JR to our prayers.

    Patricia Shiflett

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am Jim's girlfriend I spend every weekend with Jim. I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending time with both Jr and Laura, they are great! Jim and me look forward to having them come to Marietta this summer for a visit. Marlon,thank you so much for the tribute to Jim. Pleasure to have met you this weekend. God bless you all. Jr and Laura are in Our prayers. Victoria

    ReplyDelete